Aaron Kay's research focuses on the relation between motivation, implicit social cognition, and social issues. He has a particular interest in how basic motivations and needs manifest as specific social and societal beliefs. These include (but are not limited to) the causes and consequences of stereotyping and system justification, religious belief, political ideology, and the attitudes people hold towards their organizations and institutions. Dr. Kay also studies processes underlying priming effects.
Aaron Kay has been awarded the SAGE Young Scholar Award from the Foundation of Personality and Social Psychology (2010), the Early Career Contribution Award from the International Society of Justice Researchers (2010), the Early Researchers Award from the Ontario Ministry of Research and Innovation (2009), and Dissertation Awards from the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (2006) and the Society of Experimental Social Psychology (runner-up; 2006).
- Bobocel, R., Kay, A. C., Zanna, M. P., & Olson, J. M. (Eds.). (2010). The psychology of justice and legitimacy (The Ontario Symposium, Vol. 11). Philadelphia, PA: Psychology Press.
- Jost, J. T., Kay, A. C., & Thoristtodor, H. (Eds.). (2009). Social and psychological bases of ideology and system justification. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Banfield, J. C., Kay, A. C., Cutright, K. M., Wu, E. C., & Fitzsimons, G. J. (2011). A person by situation account of motivated system defense. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 2, 212-219.
- Cutright, K. M., Wu, E. C., Banfield, J. C., Kay, A. C., & Fitzsimons, G. J. (2011). When your world must be defended: Choosing products to justify the system. Journal of Consumer Research, 38, 62-77.
- Day, M. V., Kay, A. C, Holmes, J. G., & Napier, J. L. (2011). System justification and the defense of committed relationship ideology. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 101, 291-306.
- Gaucher, D., Friesen, J., & Kay, A. C. (2011). Evidence that gendered wording in job advertisements exists and sustains gender inequality. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 101, 109-128.
- Kay, A. C., Shepherd, S., Blatz, C. W., Chua, S. N., & Galinsky, A. D. (2010). For God (or) country: The hydraulic relation between government instability and belief in religious sources of control. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 99(5), 725-739.
- Laurin, K., Fitzsimons, G. F., & Kay, A. C. (2011). Social disadvantage and the self-regulatory function of justice beliefs. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 100, 149-171.
- Wheeler, S. C., Smeesters, D., & Kay, A. C. (2011). Culture modifies the operation of prime-to-behavior effects. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 47, 824-829.
Fuqua School of Business
100 Fuqua Drive
Durham, North Carolina 27708
- Phone: (919) 660-3737